Topics related to WordPress and Advertising networks. I am planning an update in the next 2 weeks.
SEO is a very important topic for ensuring that your blog gets the desired visibility. Even if you apply it a little bit, it ends up paying rich dividends. That’s why most companies use SEO to boost results. Technically, it helps to understand HTML, XHTML and CSS.
What is SEO ?
According to Wikipedia, Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in a web search engine’s unpaid results — often referred to as “natural,” “organic,” or “earned” results. In general, the earlier (or higher ranked on the search results page), and more frequently a site appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine’s users, and these visitors can be converted into customers. SEO conducts different kinds of search, including image search, local search, video search, academic search, news search and industry-specific vertical search engines.
We need the visibility for our hard work on the sites to show up on the search engines and SEO fills that gap. SEO considers how search engines work, what people search for, the actual search terms or keywords typed into search engines and which search engines are preferred by their targeted audience. Optimizing a website may involve editing its content, HTML and associated coding to increase specific keyword relevance and to remove blocks to the search engine’s indexing activities. You can also promote a site to increase the number of backlinks or inbound links.
Search engines perform crawling and building an index, and providing search users with a ranked list of the websites they have determined are the most relevant and popular. The search engine’s automated bots called spiders or crawlers use links to locate different resources across the web.
How to get better rankings in Google’s search engine
- Make pages primarily for users, not for search engines. Don’t deceive your users or present different content to search engines than you display to users, a practice commonly referred to as cloaking.
- Make a site with a clear hierarchy and text links. Every page should be reachable from at least one static text link.
- Create a useful, information-rich site, and write pages that clearly and accurately describe your content. Make sure that your <title> elements and ALT attributes are descriptive and accurate.
- Use keywords to create descriptive, human-friendly URLs. Provide one version of a URL to reach a document, using 301 redirects or the rel=”canonical” attribute to address duplicate content.
SEO is a huge ocean and if used correctly can boost traffic to your websites.
All the best, friends
Ways to generate Income or replace your income without Investment
The options to increase your income without any additional investment are more limited and the common ones that you hear about. You can also potentially replace your income.
- Blogging: This is one of the more lucrative ways of earning money. It takes time to build the site and ensure that you have sufficient good quality content. You have to make sure that your content is directed to the web visitors that you want to visit your blog. The blog should be something that you like and then once you have sufficient traffic coming in, you can apply to various advertising networks (Google Adsense, Chitika, Speedyads etc) and have them place ads on your blog.
- Pay to Click (PTC) Sites: The Pay To Click sites pay money for every click of the advertisements that pop up when you login with your Username. This takes time and needs quite a lot of patience as it may take several months before you start seeing any significant earnings. These PTC sites also work in an affiliate model and you will get paid more if you have more affiliates signing up with you. The more famous ones are Clixsense, TrafficMonsoon etc
- Get Paid to (GPT) Sites: The Get paid To sites pay money to perform various activities e.g. watching videos, taking surveys, signing up for new websites, playing games. The more famous ones are InboxDollars and CashCrate. These will not earn you a lot of money but can get you some pocket money.
- Solve Captchas: Another way to earn money is by reading the captcha images and typing the same characters in a text box. This will also not earn you a lot of money but can help a bit.
- Affiliate Marketing: You can earn by being affiliates of ClickBank, CJ, EBay, Amazon etc and earn between 4 to 20 % commissions for guiding customers to certain products on your website.
- Freelancer: You can be a freelancer and provide various services like content writing, creating websites, SEO, data entry etc and you will get paid based on your skills.
- Micro-worker: Websites like mTurk, ClickWorker etc can pay you money for clicking on other websites, writing small articles and performing other small tasks.
- Dropshipping: You can earn money by dropshipping i.e. buying from one site at a lower price and selling on another site at a higher price. For this, you need to be an authorized seller at Amazon, Ebay etc and ensure that that the item that you are selling is available. You also need to take into account the seller fees that each site charges and incorporate into the price so that you do not run into a loss. DS Domination is a great place to learn about dropshipping.
- Fiverr: You can perform any services on Fiverr and get paid $5 for every service performed.
- Youtube: You can upload videos on Youtube and get paid for every visit. You can also get paid by people who have uploaded videos and they would pay you for viewing those videos and posting comments.
There are quite a few ways to increase your current income with additional investment. There are paid packages to create websites and generate content for the websites. You can invest in various programs that give additional revenue and ensure that you get a profit for every investment that you make.
There is one good website where you can get your domains setup for a fee (www.upgradeyourcash.com) and then sit back and wait while the returns start pouring in. The good thing about this package is that you can have your time to work on whatever you want.
I have some domains purchased under this package:
Other than this, we have another website called WealthyAffiliate for those who need guidance. There is plenty of help in this community and lots of training resources available. The good part is there is a Starter Package which is available at $0 in most countries. (In India, this starter package is unfortunately not available) The starter package is sufficient in most cases. For those who need more, there is a Premium package option.
Yet another way is to go for the ad packs in the various Pay To Click sites and that would generate revenue. Multiple ad packs should be purchased in parallel to get the required cash flow but care should be taken to ensure that you don’t put in too much.
Before we get into the topic, it would help to understand a little bit more about wealth. Our usual way of thinking is that if the cash inflow or income is high, we are wealthy. However, if the cash outflow i.e. the expenses are high, the net savings ends up being low and hence we tend to live paycheck to paycheck. In case a personal emergency comes up or if you have some medical emergency that is not covered by the insurance that you have taken, you end up having to dig deep into your savings. In my corporate career, I have seen numerous cases like this and I was in the same boat myself. The important thing is to realize that and make the attempt to change things. We need to be able to have multiple sources of cash inflow so that in case some dry up, we can always lean back on the others.
First, we need to be clear about why we need to create wealth. I am a strong believer of “The Secret” and the Laws of Attraction. You have to focus on positive things and positive things will start happening. e.g. there is a difference between focusing on earning $5000-$10000 a month versus thinking that we will clear off this debt or this loan or pending payment. Good things start happening when you focus on the earning rather than the expenditure. We should understand the options we have at hand and also understand more about our risk taking quotient. It depends a lot on the cash reserve that we have. A higher cash reserve will automatically give us the backup to go for higher risks. But, we should take calculated risks. We should be prepared for the eventuality that things may go wrong or may take more time and plan for that. The rosy picture portrayed usually does not work out. So, we need to be careful there and plan ahead.
Some options are:
- Real Estate: This is an excellent way of creating wealth. Most people tend to go this way but end up taking bank loans to purchase houses or land rather than using cash reserves. The negative aspect of bank loans is that the bank owns the house or land till the loan is cleared. Most people take up the loan thinking that later their income or cash inflow will increase at a later point and they tend to discount any cases of reduction in cash inflow due to emergencies. In case of loan defaults, the bank ends up taking over possession and the entire loan amount paid till date gets lost. Banks then end up selling these houses in auctions at much lower prices. What we can understand from this is that we can use these foreclosed properties to get good deals. Secondly, builders often give very good deals when the money is ready at hand as home loans usually take some time for processing. Ready money gives you the option to bargain better. Of course, I should put in a disclaimer that we need to do our due diligence and ensure that the property documents are clear, builder is a good builder with good past history, location of property, potential for increase in value of property, neighbouring areas and that there is no dispute about ownership and the seller has clear rights to make the sale. Real estate can earn good money provided we are cautious about it. The game “Monopoly” is an excellent game to understand how we can go about it. “Buy Low” and “Sell High” works.
- Stock Markets: Warren Buffet is an inspiration in this field and numerous books have been written about making money through stocks. Here also the “Buy Low” and “Sell High” motto works very well with a very clear understanding of our risk profile. We need to understand more about how valuable the stock really is and how much it is likely to grow. Then only, we should take the decision to buy or hold. If the stock is already overpriced, we should not buy it. The volume game works especially if we diversify and buy stocks across different industries. There are a lot of predictions about how the stocks may do and lot of experts talk about that and sometimes, we tend to blindly follow the experts. However, we should first understand that experts may or may not invest in those stocks. Its very likely that they would have already made the purchase at a very low price and by the time you make the purchase, the stock would be already very overpriced. We should do the due diligence ourselves first and then use the experts advice as a guidance. Once we do a few test runs, we are able to figure out which techniques work and which ones don’t. Stock Markets can also earn good money and we have to keep an eye on the fact that timing of entry and exit matters as there are a lot unforeseen circumstances that could make the stock prices increase or suddenly fall down.
- Own a Business: Owning a business is an excellent way to earn money. There are numerous opportunities available (Opening a restaurant, Owning a Franchise, Import/Export Business etc) and we need to understand that no business is 100 % failure proof and it is quite challenging. Each opportunity is different and the necessary due diiligence needs to be done to ensure that the terms are as favorable to us as possible. We need to plan for cases where the business may not do well and we need to have a strong reason for doing the business so that when the downs come, we are still ready to work on the business. Also, we need to focus on building multiple businesses so that if one dries up, we can always lean back on the others. Building the business is the toughest and we need to focus a lot on that. There is plenty of scope for working on online or e-commerce opportunities and we see a lot of cases where the brick and mortar shops have had to change strategies in order to try to compete with online stores or in some cases had to shut shop completely. Online is the way forward. However, we need to have a proper business strategy in place as only the ones with a clear approach will succeed as the market matures. Building the customer base and clear understanding of products/services and the target market is important but reducing prices below the margin price will not sustain the business.
These wealth creation methods will generate sufficient wealth, the type that cannot be generated from just putting savings in a bank in various deposits or mutual funds.